Friday, May 9, 2008

The Slothful Straggler

Just a mere pawn in life's quest,
A novice at this expert game of chess,
I slowly wondered what lay at my behest.
Just one pawn among all the rest,
I wondered slowly what should befall me
When I lay to rest.

Moving slowly, as all about me whizzed by,
I began to think that I should cry,
But not a tear fell from my eye,
As I knew, no good, would it do I.

Slowly struggling to run this race,
I begged for mercy from this staggering pace,
And hoped another might take my place.
As I looked aside and saw a face,
And what a thrill he gained from the chase,
I knew my soul could never be replaced.

So slowly, but surely, I staggered on,
As if another picture Picasso had drawn,
And took my place amongst the shapes,
Until the Lord my soul should take,
And in the clouds of Heaven I should wake...
-Akeem Lawrence, 5/8/08

No comments: